Presenting Yourself As Most Desirable Renter Is Key To Winning Your Desired Apartment
Renting a place to live is not something you can afford to take a casual approach to. As a twenty-something who has been living away from my parents’ home for many years, I’ve come to understand how important it is to be well prepared when searching. I treat it as though I am going for a job interview.
In this day and age, a smart tenant will have a package of important papers ready to take to any meeting with a potential landlord. Here’s what’s in my rental kit:
- A job letter and a recent paystub; landlords want to know their tenants are gainfully employed.
- A reference letter from a previous landlord.
- A print out of a recent credit report to demonstrate you are responsible with money.
- Bringing a cheque book shows you mean business, and you may be asked for a deposit upfront.
- Of course, it is also important to be well dressed, clean and fresh. (Don’t come sweaty straight from yoga or the gym!)
If you are after a desirable place in an awesome location, you have to stand out – there will likely be many other interested applicants. It can feel like you are competing for a house in a multi-offer situation. Why not give yourself every advantage possible?